SPORT™ Surgical System:
Titan’s Single Port Orifice Robotic Technology (SPORT™) Surgical System, currently under development, comprises a surgeon-controlled single incision robotic platform that includes a 3D vision system and interactive instruments for performing minimally invasive surgery (“MIS”) procedures, and a surgeon workstation provides the surgeon with an interface to the robotic platform and also provides a 3D endoscopic view of inside a patient’s body during MIS procedures.
The SPORT™ Surgical System is being developed with the goal of providing interactive instruments and a 3D vision system capable of being inserted into the patient’s body cavity through a single incision.
The design contemplates a collapsible device that, when collapsed, would be capable of being inserted into the patient’s body cavity through a skin incision of approximately 25mm.
Once inserted, the device is configured to deploy into a working configuration wherein the 3D high definition vision system and interactive multi-articulating instruments would be capable of being controlled by a surgeon at the workstation.
The SPORT™ Surgical System is being developed with the objective of delivering multiple benefits to patients, surgeons and hospitals. They include the following:
For the Patient:
- Quicker recovery;
- Shorter hospital stay;
- Less pain;
- Fewer and smaller scars;
- Reduced risk of infection; and
- Less blood loss.
For the Surgeon:
- Improved visualization with 3D vision;
- Improved dexterity with multi-articulating surgical instruments;
- Easier and shorter learning curve to be able to perform minimally invasive surgery;
- Improved precision; and,
- Improved ergonomics.
For the Hospital:
- Decreased length of stay;
- Increased patient satisfaction;
- Improved ergonomics potentially extends surgeons’ operating careers; and,
- Increased use of minimally invasive surgical techniques.
The Company currently has 5 granted patents and 12 patent applications filed in the U.S. or under the Patent Cooperation Treaty.